Good evening Doctors,
I hope everyone has had a good week- we are now solidly into block 6- can you believe it?
The holidays are quickly approaching and with that comes the season of indulgence but also the season of giving. I know each one of you gives your all on a daily basis! To that end, we are holding a clothing drive for St Paul’s Place. Drop off your gently used clothes (for any season!) and consider making a small cash donation. We’ll be bringing the donations over in early January.
Keep up the great work with Recruitment. We really appreciate you attending the tours, lunches, and dinners. I need one more person to give tours on 11/22, 11/29, and 12/1. Please let me know if you can help!
– Our next event will be a wellness lunch on Wednesday 11/23 in lieu of grand rounds. Details to come!
– The hospital is working on having a more cohesive resuscitation team and I you’re your input. Please give me a heads up after codes or rapid responses happen to let me know what is going well and what isn’t going well. For now, codes occurring during business hours M-F will be attended by a MICU fellow in addition to our standard resident code team.
– I am working on getting specific lanyards or code team badges to identify the senior as the code leader and the interns as code team members. Please give me input if you have any suggestions or ideas about this.
Looking for Research?
– There are some research and quality improvement opportunities as we try to improve resuscitation at UMMC. If you would like to help with this research, please let me know ASAP and I will put you in contact with the Resus team leadership.
– Are you interested in critical care research? Bethany Weiler is currently working on a survey study in family members of ECMO patients, and could use some help during the months of December and January for recruitment purposes. If you’re interested, e-mail her at email@example.com ASAP so we can get you set up and ready to roll.
– Senior talks continue next week with Dan Escobar!
– Project Feast puts on a free annual thanksgiving meal for West Baltimore but needs turkey bakers to help!
… Here’s the fine print: If you’ve never baked a turkey before, don’t worry. We will give you thorough instructions on how to bake and carve the turkey when you come to pick it up, along with a large metal baking pin and plastic ziplock bags for the meat. Think of this as a great way to learn to bake a turkey without the pressure of pleasing your family.
We will be distributing turkeys in the Health Sciences and Human Services Library in the first room on the left (before the security desk) from 4PM – 7PM on Monday, November 21. If you absolutely are unable to make this window (work or other circumstances) please indicate this on the google form, and we will contact you to make alternative pick up arrangements.
After you have cooked your turkey, you will need to carve it, put the meat into the ziplock bags, and deliver it to the fridge in the Office of Student Affairs in HSF-I. There will be signs on Wednesday November 23 in the building directing you to the fridge!
– Phlebotomy draws labs at the VA Monday – Friday mornings. Your order for phlebotomy to draw labs must be in by 3:00am “lab collect” so that the labels can be printed and organized for am lab draws.
– Neil Adige- Thank you for being so kind and professional after volunteering your time to cover clinic this week. Stop by to pick up a gift card.
Article of the Week
How does the result of last week’s election influence healthcare? Two perspective pieces were just published in the NEJM. Both are attached to this email.
1. Maintaining Insurance Access under Trump- A Strategy by Michael Sparer, Ph.D., J.D.
2. The End of Obamacare by Jonathan Oberlander, Ph.D.
Recruitment Schedule for Next Week:
Dinners: Begin at 6:30pm: Monday at Lebanese Taverna, Wednesday at Pratt St Ale House.
Tours: Begin at 10:45 and run through lunch (12:45).
Chief Contact info:
Ruth Adekunle p3379 c732-749-0069
Laura Ferguson p3369 c315-256-8803
Karan Kapoor p3396 c908-839-3636
Christina Koch p8740 c443-995-2068
Andrea Limpuangthip p4108947450 c202-321-8805
Internal medicine resident website: https://imres.medicine.umaryland.edu/
Username: imres, Password: Woodward
RISE program: Available 24/7 for stressful clinically – related events. Pager #12602.
Employee Assistance Program: 410-328-5860 (anonymous)